During a hot Alabama summer, we all need ways to cool off with our kids, and water parks near Birmingham are a great option. While you may see posts about water parks in the area and think they don’t offer much for your little ones, the opposite is actually true!
Since we know you don’t want to drive far with screaming babies or antsy toddlers (not to mention high gas prices), we’ve rounded up several water park options that are within 1.5 hours of Birmingham or much less and highlighted all of the best, kid-friendly features. An added benefit? Kids under age 2 are always free!
Kid-Friendly Water Parks Near Birmingham, Alabama
Recently opened in Cullman, WildWater is a new water park near Birmingham that features a 22,000-square-foot wave pool and 10 thrill rides that are only about 45 minutes away. While most of these rides require riders to be at least 48” tall, there are many attractions geared toward young kids and toddlers, such as:
- Splash Station – This area includes shallow wading areas, a slide, sprayers, and more.
- Kidz ProRacer – These smaller than normal, colorful slides are lined up in a row to allow younger kids the fun of racing if they choose.
- Kidz MiniRiver – This is the perfect place for floating and relaxing with adult supervision.
- Kidz Twister – The Kidz Twister is a mini version of the park’s larger Turbo Twister.
The park offers private cabana rentals, so moms can set up for the day with a central spot for all the kids’ gear. Three sides of the cabanas can be closed, which may be helpful for those who need a little privacy for bottle feeding, breastfeeding, or nap time. Cabana rentals are $125 Monday through Thursday and $150 Friday through Sunday.
Outside food and drink are not allowed, but there are several dining options, including the Oasis Bistro that has lunch and dinner options, such as burgers, chicken tenders, sandwiches, and nachos. The Gully has quick snacks, and the Iceberg serves frozen treats from a restored 1973 Airstream Sovereign.
$29.95 for regular admission
$23.95 for under 48” tall
$23.95 for senior citizens (age 65+); and active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve
Free for ages 2 and under
Monday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Tuesday: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Wednesday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Thursday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Friday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Saturday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Sunday: 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Alabama Splash Adventure
Alabama Splash Adventure in Bessemer is a quick, 30-minutes or less drive for most people who live in the Birmingham area. It is the state’s largest water and amusement park, and it features some new, kid-friendly features this year.
- Cocoa Island – This new, colorful slide structure is covered in slides of all kinds and is appropriate for kids of all ages.
- Aqua Maze – This maze-like water attraction features 4,600 sq. ft. of twists and turns, unexpected showers, spouts, and downpours.
- Salamander Bay – This is a fully interactive water activity area where kids can slide down waterfalls and more.
- Splash Island – This area features five individual kid-size slides and an all new interactive play area with more splashing fun.
- Warrior Lazy River – This is a relaxing inner tube ride on gentle currents that has a few soaking surprises. (Guests must be at least 48″ tall in bare feet; those under 48″ must be accompanied by a responsible person and wear a US Coast Guard approved life jacket.)
Cabana rentals are available so that families or groups of six or less can have shaded, private space. Cabanas are located either by the Kahuna Wave Pool or Splash Island. Sunday through Friday cabanas are $175, and on Saturdays they are $185. All Cabanas come with a table, four chairs, large fan, and a personal safe. If you have more than six occupants, additional wristbands may be purchased for $10.00 each.
Strollers, wagons, and lockers are also available for rent for $15 per day.
For fueling up after lots of splashing, there are several food options available, such as Island Pizza, Surfside Grill, and the Snack Shack. You may take non-alcoholic beverages into the park using a personal hand-held cooler, but outside food is not permitted.
$49.99 plus tax for adults and guests over 52”
$44.99 plus tax for guests under 52”
$44.99 plus tax for seniors 55+
Free for ages 2 and under
Friday and Saturday: 10:30 AM – 7:00 PM
Sunday through Thursday: 10:30 AM – 6:00 PM
Spring Valley Beach
Spring Valley Beach in Blountsville is a water park near Birmingham that’s only about an hour or less away. The 25-acre park is surrounded by forests and large grassy fields, but there’s a lot to do inside the park, especially for kids. One unique aspect of the park is that only one water slide has a height requirement, allowing children of all ages to participate in the fun. The park also has a centralizing design, so it’s easy and convenient for families to stay together and enjoy the attractions without having to move around or separate into groups.
- Largest pool in the Southeast – The park features a 2-acre pool, which means there’s plenty of room to spread out and enjoy the water with little ones.
- Four pool area slides – These slides are located right at the pool area, so it’s easy for kids to swim, slide, and then do it all over again without having to constantly move around to various areas of the park.
- Kiddie Playstation – This area is on one side of the pool and features slides, squirters, and other water play areas just for young kids.
Spring Valley Beach offers daily pavilion rentals that vary in size and include picnic tables. Prices start at $50 and go up to $200 depending on size and availability.
This is the only water park in the Southeast that allows guests to bring in their own food and drinks along with grills.
$30 for kids over 4-feet tall and adults
$24 for age 3 up to 4-feet tall
$24 for seniors (age 62+)
Free for ages 2 and under
Open 7 days a week from 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Point Mallard Water Park
Located in Decatur, the drive to Point Mallard will be around 1.5 hours or less. Featuring a ton of fun activities, it includes several attractions that are just for kids.
- Squirt Factory and Duck Pond – This area features water play structures, slides, squirters, tunnels, and cool, shallow waters.
- Pool – Huge pool for swimming and splashing for kids of all ages. Life jackets/vests, puddle jumpers, and outside floats are allowed.
- Lazy River – This attraction is appropriate for all ages, but keep in mind that baby floats or any float with leg holes are not allowed in the Lazy River.
Large ($99 daily) and small ($39 daily) cabanas are available for rental and include various extras, such as tables, lockers, dinner tables, and more, depending on size.
No outside food or drink is permitted inside the water park, but there are many concession options available. Visitors are permitted to bring picnics to the scenic picnic area located just outside the water park.
$28 for ages 12 and up
$23 for ages 3-11
$23 for seniors (ages 62+)
Free for ages 2 and under
(Check website calendar for info on some weekdays that offer ½ price admission)
Monday – Saturday from 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Sundays 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Fayette Aquatic Center
Approximately 1.5 hours from Birmingham or less, Fayette Aquatic Center has activities for the entire family that are also very affordable. The park includes large, brightly colored slides, a lazy river, splash pad, and kiddie areas.
- Lazy River – This is a relaxing activity the whole family can participate in.
- Splash pad – This area includes interactive features for splashing and staying cool.
- Kiddie area – The kiddie area is located in the main pool space and includes a play structure and zero-depth entry.
- Large pool – This is the perfect place for kids of all ages to swim, splash, and play. There is also a huge patio area around the pool with chairs and umbrellas for shade.
Most of the larger slides require riders to be 48” or taller, but one interesting aspect of the Fayette Aquatic Center is that they offer a swim test for visitors who are under 48”. If a swimmer passes this test, they may ride those larger slides as well.
Food and drinks are not allowed at the Fayette Aquatic Center.
$12 for age two and older
$8 for senior citizens (65 and older), military personnel with valid I.D., and non-swimmers
Free for children under age two
Monday – Saturday from 10 AM – 5 PM
Sunday from 1 PM – 5 PM
A little further down the road . . .
Tropic Falls Indoor Water Park at OWA
For those who already have a trip to Alabama’s Gulf Coast or surrounding areas on the books, OWA’s new Tropic Falls Indoor Water Park in Foley recently opened at the end of June. This unique water park is the largest in the Southeast region at 100,000 square feet. The park is bigger than a football field with a soaring, convertible glass roof that is retractable along with the sidewalls. More features will be added soon, but the children’s water playground is open.
Locker rentals are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for $5, and there is also a limited supply of strollers for rent for $10 a day. The park encourages guests to bring their own.
A combo ticket is currently being offered for Tropic Falls that includes the water park and theme park. If purchasing in person, the cost is $69.99, and if purchased in advance online, the cost is $63.00. Regular hours are Monday through Thursday 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM and Friday through Sunday 10:00 AM until 8:00 PM.