Parenting is hard enough, but parenting during a pandemic is even tougher. Now, more than ever, parents need to have a resource to go to for encouragement and resources. PAL is there for you!
The Parenting Assistance Line (PAL) is a resource where parents and caregivers can CALL or TEXT 866-962-3030 or CHAT online at www.pal.ua.edu anonymously to receive advice or resources for any problems they may face. PAL is open weekdays 9 – 4:00. You can also follow our Facebook page for ongoing, up to date parenting tips and a wealth of continuous content.
PAL would like to help parents deal with the stress that is coming with this pandemic. Calls are increasing about this time being so hard to handle. Below are some tips that you might find helpful during this very stressful time.
Coping Tips for Frustrated Parents:
- Put your hands in your pockets or behind your back. (This will prevent you from using them to threaten or hit the child.)
- Take a deep breath. (Count to ten. Imagine that with every deep breath, you are releasing anger.)
- Give everybody a time out, including yourself. (This will give everyone a few minutes to cool off.)
- Talk to someone that you trust.
- Write it out. (Write down everything that comes to mind, even ugly thoughts. Then, tear it up and throw it away with your frustrations!)
- Get physical-safely. (Do some jumping jacks or turn on some music and dance. Have everyone join in!)
Here are tips from the World Health Organization (WHO) about dealing with stress and your kids.
Also, check out these helpful tips on getting children to help around the house that might make this time of staying at home a little easier.
PAL is taking calls about all kinds of concerns. We are here to listen and offer a supportive ear!
Subscribe to get our awesome updates!