Unique in Alabama, BirthWell Partners Community Doula Project, (BWP), celebrates its 10th Anniversary this year, when it expects to surpass 500 births in Central Alabama. The Birmingham-based non-profit trains and contracts with professional birth doulas to serve families who could not otherwise afford to add this lifesaving-support to their healthcare team.
To honor this healthy milestone and Alabama mothers in May, BirthWell Partners shares 10 reasons (below) to support your local doula, including a series of heart-warming photographs of newborns. Many of the infants are wearing BWP’s signature T-shirt, “A BirthWell Partners Doula Helped Me Out!”
“That’s because a professionally trained BWP doula provided support for the family – before, during and after the birth — to help make sure that the mother and baby had the best possible outcomes,” says co-founder Dalia Abrams. “Our goal in the next 10 years is to train and support enough doulas to cover every community that wants one.”
10 Reasons to Love a Community Doula
- Your doula helps you find reliable information about evidence-based birth options – and has plenty of time for your questions.
- Your doula knows you are the expert on yourself and the decision maker about your birth plan, coaching you on how to ask questions, or adapt when circumstances change.
- Your doula offers a sounding board for doubts and concerns, so you can make care decisions for yourself with confidence, relax and enjoy having a baby.
- Your doula reminds you to take care of yourself, too, with “mothering the mother” resources on everything from nutrition to meditation.
- Your doula connects you with other professionals, from childbirth educators and pregnancy yoga/exercise practitioners to lactation specialists.
- Your doula listens with a trained, non-judgmental ear to help you find your own birth power and start to mother, even before the baby comes.
- Your doula is by your side for appointments — before, during, and after labor — helping you achieve healthy outcomes and stay healthy for the baby.
- Your doula serves your entire birth team, helping your partner and family members be more at ease and effective.
- Your doula is just a text or phone call away for face-to-face or virtual service at home, a favorite meeting place, or in a Birmingham-area hospital.
- Your doula is cost effectivefor you and the healthcare system, so don’t feel guilty about asking for one. You deserve a doula!
For more information, contact Ms. Abrams at dalia@BirthWellPartners.org